The department leads and coordinates the development of national policies, plans and budgets for the health sector. This has included the Health Sector Development Plan 2012-2016, that sets out the medium-term strategic direction for the health sector, providing the framework that will guide the actions and interventions of all stakeholders over the next five years.
- Leadership and coordination of the development of an operational plan for the
- Improvement of the capacity for policy making and planning at national, stateand county levels.
- The review and updating of national health policy.
- The periodic review and revision of the basic package of health and nutrition
- Leadership and coordination of the budgeting process in the health sector.
- Develop key sector guidelines to streamline the relationships and responsibilitiesbetween the MoH, state MoHs (SMoHs), county health departments (CHDs) and health facilities.
- Develop and implement guidance for transitioning health programming from ahumanitarian to developmental focus, whilst maintaining an optimal balance between these approaches.
- Develop a health financing strategy for the sector.
- Lead and coordinate all health systems development initiatives, programmesand projects.