The directorate is responsible for overall management and coordination of clinical services in all levels of hospitals. The directorate ensures the optimal functionality of these institutions by deploying an appropriate number and mix of health workers; providing the necessary infrastructure and diagnostic equipment; and strengthening managerial functions.
The overall objective of the Directorate of Medical Services is to ensure that people of South Sudan have access to quality hospital care services at primary, secondary and tertiary care level.
The core functions of the Directorate are:
- Plan and develop the needed policies and guidelines for development of hospital services in South Sudan.
- Plan for the development of infrastructure/equipment needed for provision of quality hospital care service in the country.
- Develop plan for recruitment, deployment and retention of the healthcare personnel needed for provision of hospital care services in the country.
The Directorate is composed of five departments:
- Hospital Services
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Diagnostic Services
- Mental Health
- Infrastructure & Equipment
Recent & Planned Activities:
- Renovation of Wau and Malakal Hospitals partially completed
- In-patient feeding at the three Teaching Hospitals ongoing
- Construction of hospital in Rumbek completed
- Construction of some units in Cuibet ongoing
- Establishment of renal dialysis units at Juba, Wau and Malakal Hospitals
- Construction of intensive care unit at Juba Teaching Hospital
- Construction of an oxygen plant at Juba Teaching Hospital
- Establishment of mortuary at Juba Teaching Hospital
- Completion of National Public Health Reference Laboratory
- Construction and equipment of National Diagnostics and Imaging Centre
- Establishment of National Blood Transfusion Centre
- Phase two of construction of Kwajok referral hospital
- Renovation of State Hospitals
- Construction of John Lee Memorial Hospital
- Construction of Dr John Garang Memorial Hospital
- Development of Hospital Guidelines
- Development of Guidelines for Mental Health Services in South Sudan
Dr. Thuou Loi
Tel: +211(0) 0955 293 611